Saturday, December 15, 2007

ISB's Sixth Anniversary




ISB had sixth Anniversary Celebrations on last Sunday. The young leader is six years old. Six years old amongst a large bunch of Indian and foreign B-Schools, and already counted amongst leaders on many fronts. That sounds great, and I am obviously happy for being here.

The acceptance of ISB’s importance is global and unequivocal. In the pre-placement talks of one of the top consultancy firms, the CEO sent a video recording addressed to ISB students, inviting them to join his firm. A good gesture undoubtedly, though not to overlook that similar address seems to have been made for three of the IIMs as well. In another pre-placements talk, the partner and the MD of another top consultancy firm expressed similar sentiments about getting the best recruits at ISB.

These things are exciting for us as the students of the current batch. I am sure that along with many other things what drives this passion for improvement is a small but mostly dedicated alumnus. ISB being a very young school we don’t have fortune 500 companies CEO as alumni but the level of commitment that many alumni have for this institution is exceptional. I am sure most of us will have something to pay back to the future batches too.

I spent one full year at IIMA (while I have spent some eight months in ISB) and have a lot of respect and fascination with that institution. People tend to compare IIMs with ISB, though there is hardly any similarity. IIMs admit students, a huge majority of whom are fresh pass outs of undergrad schools while ISB is as enormous pool of diversity and work-experience as one might get in India. But at the same time I feel that people who compare these B-Schools tend to compare ISB with the combined weight and impression that all the IIMs carry after their 35+ years of existence; that itself is a pointer to the success our school.

If I were asked to see IIMA and ISB as a neutral person (I am equally biased for both anyway), I would say they are perfect complementary sets. Academic brilliance and business aptitude respectively is the core of the admission processes, as I understand, for these organizations. Together, they can drive the world’s business in the days to come.

And if anyone doubts the synergies; please see the photographs of ex and current IIM wallahs at my quad in ISB, Gachibowli, Hyderabad.

3 comments:

Kumar Prashant. said...

hey puneet,
Ur blog is one of the best I have read and I regularly follow it. I am working as a software engineer in Bangalore and I a future aspirant of MBA.
What do u suggest ..... CAT or GMAT.
I have around 4 yrs of experience under my belt.
By the way are u on probation in ISB Hyderabad... or u have decided to take the corporate ladder. If I am corect, u seem to be a beurocrat..

Puneet Yadav said...

I would suggest CAT for people with lesser work ex. For your experience, one whole hearted attempt of CAT would be best.

Anonymous said...

thanks for your advice.......