Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A brush with Palm Leaf Predictions

I could not resist the curiosity when I was told that I was 5 km from place called Tambram and decided to visit the town. Naadi shastra or the past, present and future life written on the ancient leaves, they say 2000 years old, is practiced in this small town and hence my this visit. The impression of my RTI was faxed in the afternoon and it had been informed that leaves matching my impression have been found from amongst thousands of such leaves. A friendly warning was also given to me to beware of the ‘black magic’.

The person accompanying me was narrating ‘It is occult, I saw it in your eyes, you are a believer and hence this opportunity has been given to you. You will see how the sages had foreseen your arrival here thousands of years ago. But btw are you married?’

I respond back, ‘I was thinking that the reader will predict that from the leaf’

‘He will, he will! He will tell you the name of your wife if you are married or the name of the girl you will marry and even the direction you will find her’, he said

‘Let us see what happens’, I replied. We had reached the place where the readers stayed and soon one of the readers of ancient leaves came and the person accompanying me bowed with respect.

After settling the person started reading something from the first leaf in the bundle of leaves, which was in the question answer form. I was supposed to respond only in ‘yes’ or ‘no’. A series of ‘no’ would mean that the leaf described some other person while a continued series of ‘yes’ would describe some of the events of my life and then I would be able to know the rest of my life from the leaf.

He began by asking ‘You are a student of medicine’. I said ‘no’ and he kept that leaf aside.
‘You were born on Thursday’, I said ‘no’ and even that leaf went aside.
‘You don’t have younger brother and sister’, I said ‘yes’ and he read further, you were born during night, I said ‘no’ and the leaf went aside.
‘You have a sister and she is eldest amongst the siblings’ he said, to which I replied ‘I have a sister but she is not eldest’
‘You are 4 brothers and sister, more / few’ and I answered.
‘You are 2 brothers and sister, more/ less’, he asked to which I again responded but I was getting bored. The fellow had already extracted the information that we are two brothers and one sister, my brother being the eldest and sister next.
He continued, verifying the mother’s name, my education, time of birth, if I was in Computer related profession (sages could see this two thousand years ago), if my father’s name resembled one of the avatars of Vishnu, if his name constituted of two words, and if I was in love with some one of different community.
Smart craft, I thought; they are building information on logic and inclusion or exclusion. The leaves were sets based on system of elimination and hovered around issues which could drive someone to a soothsayer and soon the complete bundle finished and the person left to bring another bundle and I continued taking notes on the questions he had asked.

In the next bundle, the information was actually similar to that filtered in first round, ‘you are the youngest amongst the brothers and sister’, about the family agricultural land, profession, that father’s name was in two words and then he tried to build the words,
First letter in father’s name and after a few leaves he got the right letter and then last and so on. For the second word he was asking if the last letter was like n/m, th, nh etc. Another logical move as the most common last words could be Singh, Ram etc and his guess could prove right. And in the process he continued to gather information.

As I had continued to take note of each of his questions the person was getting suspicious and it was visible that there was no leaf till then that matched my profile.
The second bundle of leaves had ended. He left again to bring a new bundle and soon returned and apologized that in ‘their’ system of Naadi (named after a renowned sage of Indian epics), no leaf had been written for me. He said that he would call for more leaves written by other sages as his other relatives followed those ‘systems’. He took name of two other renowned rishis of the epics to look more authentic (he pretended that all the great rishis were born in his ‘kulam’ and had left their collective wisdom for him).

But the idea of collective wisdom of three Rishi clans was interesting from historical perspective; I wondered what could have been our history if that had really happened:
Surely ‘Atharvans’ would not have been stolen of their skill of fire making and driven to the land of Avesta by the other rishi clan. The marriage of great El Yayati with Devayani and Sharmishtha would not have been a cause of thousands years of warfare. Yadu and not Puru would have been the king of Hastinapur and Puru’s children would not have perished as ‘Kurus’ and ‘Pandus’ in Mahabharata. Indian and Iranian Aryans would have not separated and many different clans like the Bharats, Turvasus, Anus, Purus and Druhyus could be visible today. Yadus wouldn’t be blamed in the Puranas for the disappearance of ‘Saraswati’.

There could have been only 1 veda and many rigvedic rishi clans would have not disappeared and priests from Egypt and Persia not migrated with their black magic for offering prayers for the Yadus. The ‘Shaka’ and ‘Huns’ would not have been here and the demography of several Northern states could be much different. May be we could still be studying in Taxila and not in &^%.

But only if those rishi clans had been one. And I could be call El ******* or Al ###### and our blood relatives of Rig Veda ‘the Asurs’ had not become the demons of our later literature.

The Naadi reader looked hopefully that I would be impressed by the names he had taken and would return to listen to the leaves written by other clans and which were still preserved by his family. But I was not impressed, my own country and my clan had had the most majestic history for over four thousand years, however deeply covered with dust today.

When I told the person accompanying me that I was not planning to return there again, he changed the topic for whatever intention he might have had- ‘Sir, would you like to have dinner with us, I am vegetarian like you, we are purest B********. My elder daughter is studying in USA, she is-’

But I had to cut him short, I was disappointed by the lack of accuracy of prediction and was not interested in what he was saying as the predictions had failed to point towards any direction.

1 comment:

Pinaki said...

This was an awesome description. And to believe they are so famous in India ;)) ...

Aur Puneet Sir kya haal hain ?? To finally kya decide kiya aapne revolutionary medical line ya obidient civil servent ;))