Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ghalib- 2

On a lazy afternoon after the passage of a storm, I am doing what I like the most, listening to Ghalib and trying to explain his philosophy and poetry to non existent / disinterested readers.
While I believe that few of Ghalib’s gazals are completely understood today, I will discuss one whose few couplets are well understood. The couplets here are those which were sung in the serial Mirza Ghalib (and may be available on the You Tube). In my next post I might cover the remaining couplets as well, just to make the gazal complete and the present couplets more meaningful.

Bazeecha -e-atfaal hai duniya mere aage,
Hota hai shab-o-roz tamashaa mere aage.
(Children’s play; Night and Day/ continuously)

Hota hai nihaan gard mein, sehra mere hote,
Ghista hai zamin khaak pe dariya mere aage
(covered with dust, desert, dust, river)

Mat pooch ki kya haal hai, meraa tere peeche,
Tu dekh ki kya rang hai, teraa mere aage

Imaan mujhe roke hai, jo kheenche hai mujhe kufr,
Kaaba mere peeche hai, kalisaa mere aage
(atheism/ irreverence, church)

Go haath ko zumbish nahin, aakhon mein to dum hai,
Rehne do abhi saagar-o-meena mere aage.
(slight movement, the bottle and glass (of liquor))


Couplet 1: For me, this world is a children’s game where new shows take place day and night
Couplet 2: The passions (in my heart) raise storm such that even the desert gets covered with dust and such emotions flow there that even the streams appear dragging.
Couplet 3: (On separation) now when we meet, don’t ask how well I am doing without you; look at the colour of your face as you face me (and turn colourless) (obviously the beloved is trying to hurt Ghalib and take ‘revenge’ but Ghalib, another egoist, reminds that while you know I am not doing well without you, the pain of separation is more visible on your face- So whom are you hurting anyway?)
Couplet 4: The ‘beliefs’ stop me (from doing wrong), when the disbeliefs pull me on the other side. I either reach Kaaba or I reach the church. In a ‘Sufi’ mood Ghalib says that both are equally good, I reach the same God whichever path I tread upon.
Couplet 5: There is no motion in my hands (for they are so weak now), but my eyes still can see; so at least let the flask and the glass of liquor remain in front me (such is my passion).

While the above couplets, all master pieces, here seem to be wandering between philosophy, love, lord, passion and drinks; in the original and complete version the flow is very steady and hopefully I will cover them soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good work!! helps us in understanding some thing we like .. keep it up